Wednesday, October 21, 2015

What I've Learned: Month One and Two

My friend from high school and church got married last November and she started doing posts on her blog about what she learned in each month of marriage. I thought it was a great idea. Darren and I weren't even engaged at that time, but I knew it would probably happen soon, so I kept the idea in my mind to use someday on my own blog.

Month 1: August 29-September 29 

Keep in mind that Darren and I lived together for a year before we got married. So married life feels pretty much the same as engaged life. Throughout the past year we had already discussed expectations from one another concerning chores around the house, etc. Even though it feels pretty much the same, Darren and I both agree that we feel a little different now that we're married, more mature.

After the wedding, Darren and I flew off to St. Thomas for our honeymoon. We spent 24/7 together which has never happened before! Coming home and back to reality was really hard. We both missed all that time we had together. So, in an effort to see each other more, I'd bring him happy hour drinks from Sonic and visit him during lunch. It's a lot easier for me to do these things because he was always the only one in his office.

We discussed money and expenses. I made an info sheet that has all of our usernames and passwords for our checking account, our credit card accounts, emails, and other miscellaneous things. We discussed telling each other and asking before we make big purchases. Trips to Wal-Mart and the gas station, for example, don't have to be discussed because those are necessities. My trips to Kohls and Maurices have dwindled down to almost nothing :)

Month 2: September 29-October 29

I know it's 8 days before October 29th, so if I happen to learn something else in that time frame, I promise I will share :)

This month we have learned a lot more about how to communicate with each other better. With Darren working in Wichita since the beginning of October, our great schedule that we had, has become completely out of whack! Darren asked me what I needed and I just said more communication throughout the day. So he suggested calling me at set times of the day. Over the month, that has evolved a lot. Last night, we talked about it some more, and I think we have finally reached something that will work for us both.

So most of September was spent finding new ways to spend more time with each other and most of October was spent finding new ways on how to communicate with each other better.

Bring it on November!

No comments:

Post a Comment